Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Memorization Nation

[tunes]: Dreams - Sephira



Hey, all! Hope all (one) of you are doing well. I'm not doing too bad. I'm certainly not freaking about my life plan as much anymore. Instead, I've got the audition for the Music Department to worry about. Just when I think everything is fine and dandy. lol. Turns out, for Music - Performance majors, you have to memorize 4 different songs, one of which has to be Italian. When I first found that out, I completely flipped because I only had the music to one song I definately wanted to sing and I wasn't even sure if I was going to use it, since it's not exactly an easy piece for an accompanist to play if they haven't had time to look at it before. As I was lying in bed last night, though, I suddenly realized I probably have a copy of another song I wanted to sing in my e-mail inbox. When I checked today, I was right, and I was also pleased to know that it was in the key I wanted as well.
I'm not sure what other two songs I want to sing, but I think I'll ask my cousin for suggestions. My old voice teacher, Keri, also gave me a few that I'll have to look into. I was thinking of doing "Caro Mio Ben," but I already know of one other person who's singing it that day and I wouldn't be surprised if more do. We'll see, since the two I am already fairly certain I'm using I don't expect everyone else to have: "O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings To Zion" from Handel's Messiah and "Ombra Mai Fu." I've got my Italian song, so that means I don't have to worry about that. I'll let you know when I've decided on what to sing.

Oh yeah. The parentals are coming down on Sunday to visit and drop off my keyboard so I can work on my songs a little in my room as well. Thank goodness for only being 3 hours away! I wish I could be home this weekend since my grandpa is visiting on Saturday and I haven't seen him in awhile, but, sadly, I don't own a car. Such is life... I need a job. Bad.

One more thing before I go: I figure I should tell you to check out Sephira! I actually have never listened to them before today, but I'm glad I did. They are two sisters who both sing and play violin. I didn't even know it was possible to do both at the same time! They're classically influenced, but I wouldn't go as far to say they're classical. They've got their own sound that I find really interesting. I'm actually going to be seeing them October 20th since they are touring with Celtic Thunder, so I will most likely be mentioning them again here. For now, you can check them out here: http://www.myspace.com/sephira

No comments:

Post a Comment