Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blood Drive

[tunes]: Watching the Very Potter Musical on YouTube. I highly suggest doing the same. HILARIOUS.



So, in all the excitement of getting you up to date, I didn’t even mention anything I did yesterday. Normally, that wouldn’t be a big deal, since Tuesdays don’t generally have much going for them as far as plans, but yesterday I finally got to do what I’ve been attempting since senior year of high school: give blood.

Now, I know you’re probably thinking “What’s the big deal?”, but I’ve tried to give blood twice before and something always ends up happening and I can’t. The first time, if I can remember correctly, my vein collapsed or something like that. All I know is that I got all the way to having the damned needle stuck in my arm when, part way through it, something went wrong and they said “Nope! Good luck next time!” (Or something to that effect.) The second time I was told that my iron levels were too low, so I failed again. All I know was that I was going to be pissed if I didn’t get to this time. Thankfully, the only thing that went wrong was that my heart rate was a little high, but that was because I had quite literally JUST come from the gym, so the guy just waited a little bit and retook my pulse. All good! In the end, the lady who took my blood was really nice and she got my vein on the first try, which is wonderful, and I ended up being done in six and a half minutes, which is fast. Yay for me!


Seeing that I have given blood, I now think you should, too. I don’t want to hear about how it hurts to get stuck with that needle because it didn’t really hurt all that bad. (If you’re one of those weird Twilight fans and want to get bitten by a weird sparkly vampire some day, I assure you that will hurt much more than getting a needle stuck in your arm.) If you have some sort of fear of needles I have a friend who does and she got over it to give blood. (If your fear of needles is really bad, I guess you can use that as an excuse.) It’s not a long process either. Think of the lives you’re saving. I saved three, just so you know.


I’ll get off my soapbox now.


One last thing: Sparkly vampires? Srsly?

No comments:

Post a Comment