Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bigfoot vs. The Shoe Industry

I HATE shoe shopping.



That's not exactly true.



       Let me be more specific.  I don't actually hate looking at shoes.  I actually quite like it.  There are so many different kinds of shoes and they're all so cute!  (Mostly.  Those Ugg boots are ugly as fuck.  Hate them.)  What I hate about shoe shopping is this: They rarely ever have my size.  The only place I know of that consistently does is Payless, and, while their shoes are cute, they aren't particularly long lasting.  In any other store, if they have my size, it's never in the shoes I like.  I can't remember the last time I went to a nice department store and found a pair of 11s that weren't some hideous excuse for a pair of shoes.



       I know what you're going to say next.  "What about shopping online?  Surely you can find something there in your size!"  Ignoring the fact that I would much rather try the shoe on in person to see if I like the way it fits and how it looks on my foot, I have tried this. Sometimes, it works.  A lot of the times, it doesn't.  Case in point: I have been looking for a decent pair of boots for over a year now.  I have yet to find a pair that I like that comes in my size.  And, even if I do find that, there's always the good chance that, when I get those boots in the mail, they still aren't going to fit because my calves are asshole mutants of nature and like to send out a big screw you to me whenever I try on boots.  The boot might fit my foot, but it doesn't always fit my jackass huge calf. 



       "Okay," you might say. "Why not try a different kind of boot?" Want to know what I'd say to you? "Fuck you." Yup. Fuck you, because it's my money and I know what kind of boots I want and I have a right as a greedy corporate American customer to get what I want. I'm not going to buy some other type of boot that I don't want because companies can't make a boot that fits me.  I'm tired of stores implying that I'm some sort of freak of nature because my shoe size is bigger than "average."  You know what?  My mom has the same size shoe as me.  My friend has a size bigger than me.  There are many "average" women out there who share my shoe size, and I find it's a disservice to us that stores and shoe companies can't supply our demands.  We have just as much of a right as the size 7 footed women out there to have cute shoes and boots, and I'm tired of being counted out because I'm too tall or too big.  Fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment