Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why I love Coach Beiste:

While I have been Glee pretty much religiously since it's preview of the first episode back in May 2009, I will be the first to admit that, lately, there have been several times I have been disappointed in it. Even some of my favorite characters can disappoint me. Even so, I can't help but watch every week because, when it's good, it's really good. When it's good, it relates such an amazing powerful message to the viewers out there who could be going though the very same things in their lives. I am one of those people.

From the beginning, I had always loved Kurt, and when they introduced Mike O'Malley as his father, I was beyond ecstatic, but it wasn't until season two that they brought on a character that really meant something to me. The day I first saw the episode "Never Been Kissed", I bawled like a baby and fell in love with the character of Coach Beiste. I fell in love because, finally, there was a character that really spoke to me. Finally, there was someone who's troubles were just like mine. Finally, there was someone I could point to and say "That's exactly what I've been through. That's me." I am Coach Beiste.

I'm not even generalizing here. Besides the fact that Dot Marie-Jones's character is older than me and is a huge fan of sports and weightlifting, we are pretty much the same person. When she confessed to Will in that episode that she had never had a boyfriend, nor been in love, and had never been kissed, I bawled because I knew that feeling. To this day, I have never had a boyfriend, nor been in love, and at 22 and a half years old, I have never been kissed. Honestly, it makes you feel like shit. It makes you feel ugly and worthless because in all your life, no one has ever liked you enough to want to date you or even kiss you. It makes you feel like you're not good enough. Now, here was this amazing, strong woman who was experiencing the same problems I was. I wasn't alone.

Then, there is the more recent episode "The First Time". Once again, Coach Beiste and I are eerily similar. When that guy kept trying to subtly ask her out, she remained completely oblivious to the point where, in the next episode, it may have cost her the guy she loved. When it comes to guys, I am completely oblivious. I couldn't tell if a guy was hitting on me to save my life. Unless he comes out and says "I like you, date me." I really don't think I'd have a clue. It's pretty ridiculous. I think I know why Coach Beiste and I are like this, though. When you've lived as long as we have without a single guy saying they like you or they think you're attractive or anything, you don't expect it from anyone, so, when someone tries to hint at it, you don't even notice it or just think it's a joke. Why would someone like you this time? And you're not about to put yourself out there and say you like a guy, because they've never liked you before and this guy probably won't be any different and you don't want to look stupid or get your heart broken. So you don't and miss all the signs.

So, Glee, please, please, please, let Coach Beiste get her man. Give girls like me some hope. And boys out there, please don't be vague. Some of us won't get that you mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment